In February 2017, we launched a series of weekly blog posts addressing discipline and parenting practices. In this series, we will explore:
- reasons that parents choose among discipline approaches,
- the science behind those techniques, and
- alternative approaches to discipline.
You can find the list of posts below.
- Why Do Parents Physically Discipline Their Children? 5 Useful Analogies from Sedimentary Rocks – George W. Holden, PhD (Southern Methodist University)
- A Tale of Two Tantrums – Joan E. Durrant, PhD (University of Manitoba)
- Can You Discipline Your Child Without Using Punishment? – Alan E. Kazdin, PhD, ABPP (Yale University)
- Why Positive Parenting Trumps Physical Punishment When It Comes to Disciplining Kids – Gail Goodman, PhD (UC Davis)
- 7 Essential Tips to Help You Master Disciplining Your Kids – Joan Grusec, PhD (University of Toronto)
- Corporal Punishment: A Wrong not a Right – Barbara Bennett Woodhouse, JD (Emory University)
- Spare the Rod, Spoil the Child? The Unexpected Way Religious Beliefs Influence Parents’ Views of Discipline – Cindy Miller-Perrin, PhD (Pepperdine University)
Image source: iStockPhoto.com