October 15th is National Latinx AIDS Awareness Day, and this year’s theme is “We’ll Defeat AIDS con Ganas!” But why is it important to talk about acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS) in the Latino community? Latinxs are disproportionally affected by the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)—the virus that causes AIDS. Our community represents 17% of the total U.S. population, but accounts for 21% of all new HIV infections and 21% of people living with HIV. In addition, research shows that Latinxs are more likely to receive late diagnosis and HIV care compared to other races and ethnicities.
- Back to School Blog Series
- Blog Series on Parenting & Discipline
- Blog Series on Race, Racism, and Law Enforcement in Communities of Color
- Blog Series on Talking to Kids about Race and Ethnicity
- Blog Series on Violence Against Women and Girls
- Get Involved
- We’re Psyched!