For too long educational stakeholders including researchers, administrators, teachers, parents and even students placed value in the notion that African American students have less interest and capacity in education. What is most troubling is that African American students may themselves hold these beliefs. This could lead to a self-fulfilling prophecy, so to speak, contributing to achievement at standards below actual capabilities. Parents and teachers must be sure that they are instilling positive beliefs around African American students and high levels of academic achievement.
- Back to School Blog Series
- Blog Series on Parenting & Discipline
- Blog Series on Race, Racism, and Law Enforcement in Communities of Color
- Blog Series on Talking to Kids about Race and Ethnicity
- Blog Series on Violence Against Women and Girls
- Get Involved
- We’re Psyched!